Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Can I use periwinkle to climb and cover a wall?

Can I train periwinkle, Bowles Cunningham Periwinkle (Vinca Minor 'Bowles Cunningham'), to climb and cover a wall? I know I have selected the right location as far as soil, moisture, and sun is concerned and that it has long "vines" like a climbing plant so I know I can tie it up but I want it to thrive. Also I have seen people stagger nails in a wall and tie vines to them. Is there any trick to that? Thanks for your help and tips!

Can I use periwinkle to climb and cover a wall?
Periwinkle spreads but has no tendrils to hold it to a wall. If you stake it you might end up killing it over the winter. If you are in zone 8 or lower try creeping ficus, it's amazing. Periwinkle is nice but only flowers for a short while so it's not worth trying to get the color out of it. Maybe you can do boxes on top of the wall and train, down?


No comments:

Post a Comment