Friday, November 18, 2011

I need to know how to plant creeping phlox?

I also need to know how to plant red sedum, periwinkle and hens and chicks.

I need to know how to plant creeping phlox?
I don't know about red seedum, but creeping phlox, periwinkle, and H%26amp;C, are easy.


I take a large stick, or piece of solid metal, and push it into the ground about 4-5 inches(to get below frost line). I usually have a cart with the plants, and carry some plant/bulb food, and small shovel, and water. Put the plant in the hole, add some food, and press dirt back around plant. Add some water, and you're done! Hens and chicks run all over my Mom's bank. When she wants to move some, she does the same thing. A lot of people (like my sister) spend hours playing with the soil and plants. I find mine grow just as well-if not better-by just doing it this way. My neighbor spent a whole day, 2 years ago, preparing soil, soaking plant roots, and digging the 'perfect' hole for her bulbs. I went out with my 4-yr old granddaughter, threw our tulip and crocus bulbs on the yard. Then we took the stick, poked a hole where the bulbs fell, and dropped them in. She stepped on the dirt to push it down, and we planted 100 bulbs in about 1 1/2 hrs!


All of them have come up, but next door, only a few made it!


We just say that "Wild flowers grow where God dropped them, and so do ours!" Good luck with yours. Let me know how you make out. Connie


No comments:

Post a Comment