Saturday, November 14, 2009

What is your interpretation of this poem??

Disillusionment of Ten O'Clock





The houses are haunted


By white night-gowns.


None are green,


Or purple with green rings,


Or green with yellow rings,


Or yellow with blue rings.


None of them are strange,


With socks of lace


And beaded ceintures.


People are not going


To dream of baboons and periwinkles.


Only, here and there, an old sailor,


Drunk and asleep in his boots,


Catches tigers


In red weather.

What is your interpretation of this poem??
I was totally confounded by this poem upon first reading.


Also, I don't know what a "ceinture" is.


I read the first answerer's answer.


I just don't know what to make of your poem or that person's answer.
Reply:The message is simplicity. The sailor is the only one not haunted by greed. White represents innocence ,and the poem conveys, I think, that innocence is nothing more than an illusion.


No comments:

Post a Comment